Updated: Nov 1, 2020
Most of us are new to this reading world, most of us want to inculcate reading as a habit, Most of us want to read more but never get enough time to read.
Reading is a process, not a race. So even if you are a slow reader, that's okay. It takes time to develop it as a ritual. But it can be done with some simple tips and tricks which anyone can implement to reach your reading goals faster. These are self-tested tips and tricks, so I know they definitely work.
These are some of the effective methods which can even improve your productivity:
• If you are a beginner, Start always with a small (about 200-250 pages) and a good book. How will you decide if that book is for you or not? Just read its blurb or its reviews, if you find it interesting, just pick it up. Some of my suggestions are:- The Alchemist, The monk who sold his Ferrari, The Kite Runner, And there were none by Agatha Christie.
• Take out only 30 minutes for reading the book and fix the time of reading. If you are reading in the morning after waking up or at night before sleeping, just don't change the time. Choose the time and place where you find peace. You decide! What this will do? It will gradually become a part of your daily routine and you will love it.
• Keep a highlighter or a pencil or anything that acts as a marker when you read line by line. It will help you to remain focussed on the text and will improve your reading pace. When you start getting comfortable with it, try to move the marker faster and see the results.
• Try to underline or use a sticky note for the points which seem to be really noteworthy. In that way, you can always grasp most of the essence of the book.
• Turn off your phone, TV, laptop, or any other gadget which distracts you while reading. It really helps. But what if you are reading an ebook, just turn off all your notifications for that 30 minutes of your time, and switch your phone setting to reading mode. You can use your finger as a marker here.
• Try to calculate the number of pages you read in that 30 minutes of timeframe. This will help you analyze if your reading speed has been improved or not. In the beginning, it might be about 5-10 pages maybe, but eventually, it will increase I promise. This is the best way to keep track of your progress. Sometimes, the speed slows down due to the storyline in the book or because of some irrelevant points. You can always skip the part if it is unnecessarily added. Note down the page count every day till you complete a book. Do the same thing with your next one until you feel satisfied.
• And the last tip is to enjoy the book. Such that your 30-minute duration will seemingly fall short to you. And then you can obviously increase that duration to 45 minutes or 1 hour. If you achieve this step, you have made yourself from a beginner to an intermediate reader. So, CONGRATULATIONS! Be proud of yourself and keep reading :)
Thank you for your time.
Connect with me on Instagram @https://www.instagram.com/shelfparadise/